- Unleash the power of your smartphone with the StarSense Explorer 12" Dobsonian to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no telescope experience required.
- Patented, award-winning Celestron StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate the telescope’s position in real-time.
- A large 12” parabolic primary mirror with XLT coatings helps you make the most of StarSense technology. Locate faint, deep-sky objects in seconds and see them in more detail than ever before.
- The 12" StarSense Explorer includes a sturdy, Dobsonian-style base with large diameter bearings and variable altitude tensioning makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it's ready to view in the telescope's eyepiece.
- Celestron StarSense Explorer Powered by SkySafari™ app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to see even more.
- This 12" StarSense Explorer Dobsonian includes a 32mm Plössl eyepiece, a 2” Crayford focuser, 2” extension tube, 2” to 1.25” adapter, the StarSense smartphone dock, a StarPointer™ red dot finderscope, an eyepiece rack, and a collimation tool.
Celestron has reinvented the Dobsonian telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first Dobsonian that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real-time. This large-aperture Celestron StarSense Explorer is ideal for serious beginners and advanced observers alike, thanks to the app's user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It's like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky. The large aperture will ensure that you won’t outgrow the telescope as you continue on in your astronomical adventures. Advanced observers will appreciate the ease of use and spectacular views the StarSense Explorer 12” Dobsonian provides.
Dock, Launch, Explore
Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you'll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app.
After aligning your phone to the telescope's optics (a quick and easy procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear on-screen, guiding you as you move the telescope. When the object is ready to view in the eyepiece, the bullseye turns green. As you observe, listen to hundreds of audio descriptions and view detailed information about thousands of objects within the app’s robust database.
High-Quality Altazimuth Base
An ultra-stable Dobsonian base provides a sturdy foundation for StarSense Explorer. It features large diameter altitude bearings with variable tensioning, Teflon azimuth bearings, and braces on the side panels for extra stability (unlike many 12” Dobsonian bases). The altitude bearings provide a smooth up-and-down motion while the integrated altitude "brake" system allows you to adjust the tension along the altitude axis for smoothest motion even with slight imbalances. The panning knob on the telescope tube provides an ergonomic grip so you can precisely point the telescope without introducing heat from your hands into the optical system. As celestial objects appear to drift across the night sky, you'll be able to easily follow them with minor adjustments to the telescope’s position.
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1:
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1:
|Highest Useful Magnification:
|Lowest Useful Magnification:
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude:
|Light Gathering Power:
||1895x as compared to the human eye
||XLT reflective coatings with silicon dioxide and tantalum pentoxide protective overcoatings for primary and secondary mirrors
||Pyrex equivalent for primary and secondary mirrors
|Primary Mirror Thickness:
||37mm (1.45") (approx. 1:8 thickness ratio)
|Secondary Mirror Thickness:
|Minor Axis of Secondary Mirror:
||2" Crayford focuser, includes 2" extension tube and 2"-to-1.25" adapter
||StarPointer™ red-dot finderscope
|Optical Tube Dimensions:
||1422.4mm (56") long x 355.6mm (14" diameter)
|Optical Tube Weight:
||49.8 lbs (22.58 kg)
||Altazimuth Dobsonian base
||Particle board with melamine surfaces and edge trim, CARB compliant
||635mm x 635mm x 736.6mm (25" x 25" x 29")
||33.8 lbs (15.33 kg)
||Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software and StarSense Explorer App
|Total Telescope Kit Weight:
||83.6 lbs (37.92 kg)
2" Crayford focuser
StarPointer™ red-dot finderscope
StarSense Explorer dock
StarSense Explorer unlock code
Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software
- Never look directly at the Sun with the naked eye or with an optic (unless you have the proper solar filter). Permanent and irreversible eye damage may result.
- Never use your optic to project an image of the Sun onto any surface. Internal heat build-up can damage the optic and any accessories attached to it.
- Never leave your optic unsupervised. Make sure an adult who is familiar with the correct operating procedures is with your optic at all times, especially when children are present.