The CGX 800 HD combines Celestron's all-new state of the art CGX computerized equatorial mount with its acclaimed EdgeHD optical system. With 8 inches of aperture and our premium StarBright XLT coatings, the CGX 800 HD gives you over 800 times the light gathering power than the unaided eye and is the lightest and most portable telescope in its class.
SEE THE UNIVERSE IN HD
EdgeHD is an aplanatic, flat field Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that produces aberration-free images across a wide visual and photographic field of view. The optical system was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma; it also provides an astrograph-quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view.
TRUE ASTROGRAPH QUALITY
Many optical designs that advertise themselves as "astrographs" actually only produce pinpoint stars across a curved focal plane. While this may be acceptable for some visual observing, stars will appear out of focus at the edge when used with the flat chip sensor of a digital camera. EdgeHD optics produce a focal plane more than three-times flatter than a standard Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope and dramatically flatter than competing coma-free designs. This guarantees you visibly sharp stars across some of the largest CCD chips available today.
Superior edge performance not only creates rounder, more pleasing stars, but actually improves the resolution and limiting magnitude when compared to telescopes of equal aperture. With Celestron’s StarBright XLT optical coatings on every surface, EdgeHD optics gives you maximum light throughput across the widest visual and photographic spectrum.
- 8” HD optics
- CGEM II computerized equatorial mount
- Celestron’s premium StarBright XLT coatings provide maximum light transmission
- A 9x50 finderscope, 1.25” mirror diagonal for more comfortable viewing, and 1.25” 40 mm Plössl eyepiece are all included
- Celestron’s premium StarBright XLT coatings provide maximum light transmission
- Experience our best optical performance with EdgeHD’s ﬂat-ﬁeld and coma-free optics for pinpoint stars all the way to the edge of today’s largest imaging sensors and widest eyepieces
- Aluminum optical tube with tube vents featuring an integrated 95-micron mesh filter allows hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Mirror support knobs hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift during imaging
- Versatile design accommodates 2 focal ratios: native f/10 or ultra-fast f/2 imaging with a removable secondary mirror and third-party accessories
COMPUTERIZED MOUNT FEATURES
- All-new design. Sturdier and more rigid with quicker dampening time
- Increased load capacity to 55 lbs.
- Improved motors provide more torque, better slewing and tracking under heavy loads
- Heavy Duty belt-drive system minimizes backlash while providing smooth motor operation under heavy loads
- Spring-loaded brass worm wheel and stainless steel worm gear reduce friction and provide optimum gear mesh
- Internal cabling for worry-free remote operation. Power input and accessory ports remain stationary while the mount slews to avoid snags
- Internal hard stops for both axes prevents cable tension and tripod strike
- Internal optical sensors on both axes for simple and safe remote operation
- Home sensors allow the mount to always start in the index position regardless of orientation before a power reset
- Limit sensors automatically shut off slewing or tracking before reaching the hard stop fail safe
- Brand new control software developed in conjunction with PlaneWave Instruments for professional level control operation and imaging
- Software includes multi-point mount modeling for extremely precise pointing accuracy and many more additional features for remote astroimaging
- Wider tripod stance for improved stability
- Adjustable EQ head position to optimize center of gravity over the tripod and fully utilize the increased 3º-65º latitude range
- Dual-fit CG-5/Vixen and CGE/Losmandy dovetail saddle
IMPROVED TRIPOD INCLUDES:
- 2" steel legs with height index marks for quick leveling
- "Jack of all trays" can hold three 1.25" eyepieces, two 2" eyepieces, your smartphone, or other accessories
- +20º of additional tracking past the meridian on either side
- Tripod legs can be collapsed with accessory tray installed for faster setup and transport
- Two handles for easy pickup and transport
- All-new ergonomically designed dovetail clamping knobs
- Innovative and improved polar alignment adjustment system
- All-new ergonomic latitude adjuster for smooth and easy adjustment under full loads
- Optional add-on polar axis finderscope - coming soon
- All-new NexStar+ hand control with USB port
- Two AUX accessory ports to support wireless/WiFi alignment and operation with StarSense AutoAlign and SkyPortal WiFi Module accessories (sold separately)
- USB 2.0 port, used to connect directly to PC with included software
- Autoguider port
- PPEC ready
- Threaded 12VDC power input barrel connector
- Internal Real Time Clock (keeps time and site information saved)
In addition to EdgeHD’s optimized optical design, the telescope tube has been redesigned to make sure you get the most from your optics each and every night.
- MIRROR CLUTCHES - Flexible tension clutches hold the mirror in place and reduce image shift when taking long exposure astro-images. Once focused, the flexible rods allow the mirror to be held in place without putting any force or pressure on the mirror assembly, keeping the image centered in the eyepiece (or on the sensor).
- TUBE VENTS - Cooling vents located on the rear cell allow hot air to be released from behind the primary mirror. Each vent has an integrated 95-micron micromesh filter guaranteed to let warm air out without letting dust in.
- FASTAR VERSATILITY - EdgeHD is the most versatile imaging telescope available today. At its native f/10, you can achieve the image scale necessary to capture the smallest of deep sky objects. Add the optional reducer lens—custom-designed for your size EdgeHD tube—and you can increase your field of view without sacrificing optical performance. A Barlow gives you added power for high-resolution planetary, lunar and solar imaging. All EdgeHD optical tubes are Fastar-compatible, allowing the secondary mirror to be removed and replaced with a third party lens accessory for ultra-fast f/2 wide field imaging.
Every Celestron EdgeHD that ships has been tested not only for the surface quality of each optical component, but also with a camera and artificial star to ensure the imaging system meets our rigid quality assurance. This “final acceptance test” confirms the EdgeHD will perform in the field and deliver high-quality astro-images.
Celestron’s workhorse CGEM mount lineup has been the German Equatorial backbone for telescopes ranging from 6 to 11 inches of aperture. Since that time, many more astro-imagers and planetarium controlled setups have emerged as backyard telescope technology has evolved. Celestron’s engineering team applied their years of experience designing German Equatorial mounts to the all-new CGX EQ, a culmination of all the advancements made to our technologies, value, and ease-of-use.
The new Celestron CGX was designed to better support your telescope for both visual and astro-imaging pursuits. Key design goals included a lower profile EQ head, which provides a more compact and therefore more stable setup; a better drive system; remote operation-friendly with home and limit optical sensors; easier polar alignment adjustments; and better cable management. In addition to that, we’ve made mechanical and ergonomic improvements throughout to make the mount sturdier, easier to use, and transport. The CGX is Celestron's new Equatorial backbone to support a wide range of telescopes.
|Aperture (mm)||203.2 mm (8 in)|
|Focal Length||2032 mm (80 in)|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1 (mm)||40 mm (1.57 in)|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1||51x|
|Highest Useful Magnification||480x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||29x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||14|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.69 arc seconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.57 arc seconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||843x|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction||2.7 in (69 mm)|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||34%|
|Secondary Mirror Obstruction by Diameter||11%|
|Optical Coatings||StarBright XLT|
|Optical Tube Length||17 in (432 mm)|
|Optical Tube Weight||14 lbs (6.3 kg)|
|Dovetail Compatibility||CGE Mount|
|Mount||German Equatorial Mount|
|Instrument load capacity||55lbs|
|Tripod height adjustment range||47.25” to 77.5” including EQ headA|
|Tripod leg diameter||2"|
|Latitude adjustment range||3º-65º|
|Tripod Weight||19.2 lbs|
|EQ Head Weight||44 lbs|
|Max Slew Speed||5º/second (4º/second is default)|
|Tracking Rates||Sidereal, Solar and Lunar|
|Number of Auxiliary ports (for hand control and accessories)||2|
|Software||New telescope control PC software|
|CGX Equatorial Head|
|2 x 11 lbs counterweight|
|NexStar+ Hand Control|
|DC Power Cable (plugs into cigarette lighter socket)|