Baader Morpheus 17.5mm 76° Wide-Field Eyepiece
This Baader Morpheus eyepiece has a focal length of 17.5mm, and like all Morpheus Eyepieces comes with a 1.25" and 2" barrel plus an M43 adapter for photographic use and a holster-type case to keep your 17.5mm Morpheus Eyepiece safe when not in use.
- Full Field Sharpness: The sharp flat 76° field is unsurpassed by any other modern wide field eyepiece. On-axis sharpness and contrast rivals our best planetary eyepieces while delivering nearly equivalent performance over the full field. Stars remain diamond pinpoints as you move away from the center, and the field remains flat and in focus, even in short focus telescopes.
- Long Eye Relief: Morpheus pushes the envelope of comfortable wide field viewing further than ever before, delivering close to 20mm of eye relief along with best-in-class optical performance. Eyeglass wearers can comfortably take in the full field, and users of Binoviewers will find that Morpheus make the ultimate eyepieces for viewing with two eyes.
- Low Distortion: The Morpheus optical design delivers exceedingly low distortion (angular magnification distortion). Planets and lunar features retain their shapes as they transit the field and the true field sizes are close to theoretical. Many companies exaggerate at this point and deliberately use off-axis distortion magnification as a means to advertise blown "apparent" field sizes. You will be able to compare this given field size of 76° and find it to be the true value (apparent view angle as seen by the observer's eye).
- Immersive Views: Baader found that the subjective "spacewalk" feeling is not just a function of field of view. Interestingly, some wide-field eyepieces with fields of 82 degrees failed to deliver the same viewing experience as others with similar fields, or even some with smaller fields. Two additional primary factors played into the equation – Eye Relief (and the related large eye lens size) and Ease of Viewing (a combination of long eye relief and control of pupil aberrations). Fields much below 74 degrees tended to have a reduced effect. So, Baader designed a new eyepiece with a field of view greater than 74° that met all of the other optical parameters necessary to deliver a truly "immersive" viewing experience where the eyepiece essentially disappears. The result is Morpheus®.
- Phantom Coating® Group: Pioneered in the Hyperion lineup, the Phantom Group Multi-coatings have been further optimized for use in the Morpheus and index-matched to each of the different glasses.
- Optimized Internal Baffling: As with all Baader Planetarium eyepieces, the internal mechanicals has been fully ray-traced and baffled to eliminate the effects of stray-light.
- Optimized for Binoviewing: Every last bit of space has been squeezed out of the main body to minimize its size, giving maximum nose clearance for binoviewing.
- Weight reduction: Every effort has been made to eliminate unnecessary weight - especially in view of effective binoviewing. The weight of all Morpheus-eyepieces essentially are the lenses inside plus the best protection and water resistance we can supply.
- Foldable Eyecups: The Morpheus include two soft rubber dual-position foldable eye guards. These innovative new eye guards have been developed to provide the optimal comfort and eye spacing for most users and eyeglass wearers. The included special winged version provides the ultimate comfort and exclusion of stray light necessary for binoviewing with eyeglasses.
- Safety Features: The 1¼" and 2" Barrels of each Morpheus incorporate our new Slip-Protect Safety Kerfs. The ideal safety compromise between smooth barrels and wide undercuts. The numerous shallow kerfs give additional grip and security from inadvertent drops from smooth sided barrels, without the annoying problems sometimes caused by traditional wide undercuts. A wide waffle-patterned rubber grip ring gives an extra measure of secure handling. Photo-luminescent engraving lets you find the correct eyepiece even in the dark!
|FOCAL LENGTH||17.0 mm|
|APPARENT FIELD OF VIEW||76°|
|EYE RELIEF (MM)||19 mm|
|FIELD STOP DIAMETER||23.6 mm|
|FIELD STOP DISPLACEMENT TO REFERENCE PLANE||+ 2.5mm|
|NUMBER OF LENS ELEMENTS||8|
|NUMBER OF GROUPS||5|
|AR-COATING||Phantom Coating® Group|
|THREADED FOR FILTERS||Yes|
|DUSTCAPS||1¼" dustcap (31,8mm), 2" dustcap (45mm), 2" dustcap (46.5mm - fits over eyecup)|
|EYECUPS||folding eyecup (M43), winged eyecup (M43)|
|BACKFOCUS GAIN W. 2“ BARREL (MM)||21 mm|
|SLIP PROTECT SAFETY||Safety Kerfs|
|EYEPIECE BODY ABOVE REFERENCE PLANE (MM)||85mm|
|LENGTH OF 1¼" BARREL (MM)||24 mm|
|LENGTH OF 2" BARREL (MM)||21 mm|
|OUTER DIAMETER||55 mm|
|OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES||Dustcap Storage Holster|
|SPECIAL FEATURES||Photo-luminescent engraving: lets you find the correct eyepiece at all times|
|INCLUDED ACCESSORIES||Cordura eyepiece holster for fast access|
|OUTER CONNECTION (EYEPIECE/-CAMERA-SIDED)||Thread, M43|
|INNER CONNECTION (LENS SIDED)||Thread, M28,5|
|OUTER CONNECTION (LENS SIDED)||Barrel, 1¼", 2"|
|BARREL SIZE (IN)||1¼", 2"|
|OPTICAL DESIGN||Wide Angle|