MallinCam X2-PC Color Video Camera
Use the Discount Code "mallin" for Free Shipping on this MallinCam Camera!
The MallinCam X2-PC Color video camera is the latest version of the Xtreme camera series that incorporates design improvements to the sensor cooling, and the CCD chamber has an improved conformal coating to improve resistance to condensation. The materials used to implement these improvements cost more money, thus explaining the cost difference between the Xtreme and X2. The X2-PC Color video Cam is fully loaded with features not available from any other brands in its price class.
The MallinCam X2-PC Color video camera includes the standard package as in the MallinCam Xtreme series, plus it has no provision for the Wireless Exposure Controller, no rear Yellow LED Peltier status indicator, but it does include the HDX2-F kit and Copper cooling Peltier cold finger system for greater cooling, and comes with a 25 foot RS-232 PC cable.
The Peltier cooler has been adjusted to help minimize warm pixel formation during the longer exposures. A new dual heat dissipater (HDX2) has been developed and it is recommended for use on the Xtreme (or the X2-PC Color video camera) due to the additional heat generated by the CCD sensor during extended long exposures. Along with the HDX2, the use of an optical window, MFR-3 or MFR-5 focal reducer is recommended to help isolate the sensor from the outside. It is important to isolate the CCD sensor from moisture in the outside air and lessen the chance for condensation issues. When lunar, planetary, and solar observing is being done, it is not necessary to have one of the above optical elements attached to the Xtreme as the Peltier cooler is set to the lowest level of noise detection, greatly reducing the risk of condensation.
The control software contains a video control interface that works in conjunction with the user supplied video capture device. The available video control options in the software are limited by those supported by the capture device. Options usually include: BRIGHTNESS, CONTRAST, GAIN, GAMMA, HUE, SATURATION, SHARPNESS and WHITE BALANCE. Since PC control is through the RS-232 auxiliary port on the camera, over 300 feet of cable can be used for remote operation. This is far superior to the 15 feet limited range provided by USB supported cameras.
When PC control is not utilized, for example when out in the field at a Star party, the optional Wireless Exposure Control (WEC) module can be used with the fully integrated On Screed Display (OSD). For those wanting to easily adjust the menu in the field instead of having to manipulate the menu using the five on-camera buttons, an optional wired menu keypad is available. The Wireless Exposure Controller is FCC approved. Although approval range is limited to 265 feet (80m), it has been tested at 500 feet in the open. Since the Wireless Exposure Controller works on RF radio waves, the signal is able to penetrate walls, unlike IR controllers.
To guarantee interference free operation with other MallinCam users in the field, 100 channels are selectable. Both the transmitter and the receiver have large numeric displays making it easy to set and monitor the exposures. The Wireless Exposure Controller has a “bulb” setting making it possible to set exposures from 3 seconds to 99hrs 59min 59sec.
- Computerized adjustable mild Peltier thermoelectric cooler (TEC)
- Hand picked Class 1 CCD sensor (Grade A). (Class 0 CCD Sensor available as an option - when available, $139.95 Extra) (EXview HAD CCD Sensor with greater sensitivity available as option - when available, $109.95 Extra)
- RS 232 interface offering complete PC camera control using the Control Cable and FREE MallinCam Control Software. A Serial Port is needed on the PC, and if one is not available, a USB to Serial Adapter can be utilized.
- Full Shutter Speed Adjustment including OFF, 1/100, 1/120, 1/180, 1/250, 1/350,1/500, 1/750, 1/1,000, 1/1,500, ½,000, 1/3,000, ¼,000, 1/6,000, 1/8,000, and 1/12,000 second making it possible for Lunar, Planetary and Solar (with the proper USER supplied H-Alpha or White Light Filters). There is no need to use an aperture mask to reduce the telescope’s light gathering ability.
- Long exposure modes including 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X, 12X, 16X, 24X, 32X, 48X, 64X, 96X, and 128X or 1/32th of a second to 2.1 seconds
- Hyper Mode with 3.3 Second to 100 Minute Exposure Times – all with Full Automatic Refresh!
- On Board Title Generator that allows for the placement of the name of the object being viewed on the monitor. This is excellent for group viewings at museums, planetariums, educational facilities and star parties or while broadcasting over the Night Skies Network.
- Programmable Back Light Compensation Mode (BLC)
- FULL AGC Adjustment (GAIN) in Auto Mode, Manual Mode (for Deep Sky targets) and OFF (for Deep Sky targets, and Lunar, Planetary, and Solar observing)
- Full White Balance Control (W/B). Chose between Fully Automatic White Balance Control (AWC), Auto Trace White Balance Control (ATW), or Manual White Balance Control including presets for 5600K, 3200K (Infrared) or User Defined Blue and Red Color.
- Two Fully Independent Video Outputs - High Resolution S-Video and 75 Ohm Composite (Both can be used simultaneously!)
- Four Programmable Mask Functions – allow for the creation of Electronic Cross Hairs or other Manual Guiding Functions
- Positive and Negative Image Selection
- Horizontal Image Inversion (mirror effect)
- Vertical Image Inversion (mirror effect)
- Freeze Image Function
- Sensitivity Priority Function
- Gamma Selection (0.45 or 1.00)
- APC Function (Advanced Pixel Control to eliminate all stars artifacts or enhance DSO details)
- High Light Adjust Function (Electronic Coronagraph and Electronic Stellar Coronagraph)
- Color Bar Generator
- Full Digital Zoom (Up to 2X in 16 steps)
- 1- MallinCam Xtreme colour camera with Class 1 ICX418AKL-A video CCD sensor (B&W optional)
- 1- Regulated Power Supply 120 volts to 12 Volts D/C Adapter (PAL export version comes with 220 Volts to 12 Volts D/C Adapter
- 1- 25' (8 Meters) High Grade Dual Shielded Power/Composite Video Cable Combination
- 1- High Precision 1.25" Eyepiece Adapter / Heat Transfer Unit Custom Made for the MallinCam
- 1- BNC Male to RCA Female Adapter 11.50 ounces (326 grams)
- 2 Full Years warranty. (Excluding the ccd sensor)