About the Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock...
Meade Telescope is proud to announce the latest addition to our line of industry leading developments, the LX600, ready to take your visual and optical astronomy to the next level. The fast f/8 Advanced Coma Free optical system of the Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock produces a wider, flatter field with no coma for pinpoint stars out to the edge of larger imaging sensors and extreme wide angle eyepieces. Includes StarLock for full time guiding at one arc second precision and LightSwitch style auto-alignment, Crayford style zero shift focuser with reduction, AutoStar II GOTO system with over 145,000 object library, and much more.
The Meade Advanced Coma Free (ACF) optical design of the Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock offers the coma-free pinpoint star images and flatter image fields greatly desired by discerning amateur astronomers, astrophotographers and professional observatories alike. This patented Meade Telescope system also reduces the astigmatism and eliminates diffraction spikes found in classical RCs.
This Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock has 14" diameter f/8 ACF optics (focal length 2845mm) and Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC) for maximum image brightness and contrast. The redesigned Meade Telescope mirror mounting system achieves zero image shift eliminating the need for a mirror lock and includes an internal Crayford style focuser with two speed, 7:1 reduction control that allows for quick and easy adjustments.
The no-compromise LX600 dual fork mount of the Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock features 5.75" main gear and pointing accuracy of one arcminute or better in High Precision Mode. This rock solid Meade Telescope platform is sure to exceed the need for the most demanding applications. The fully height adjustable (34 to 54") Meade Giant Field Tripod features massive 3" diameter legs, making it a research grade foundation for the LX600.
The Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 includes StarLock - the revolutionary new technology that makes target acquisition on your imaging sensor and accurate guiding during exposures completely automatic. With Meade Telescope'''s exclusive LightSwitch technology at its core, StarLock uses an 80mm f/5 optic and two camera sensor system to provide computer assisted alignment. Once aligned the StarLock automatically guide corrects the mount in real time, achieving a tracking accuracy of up to 1 arcsecond in good seeing and with the capability of guiding on stars as faint as 11th magnitude.
The Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock features DC-servo motors on each axis with a maximum slew speed of 8 degrees per second, allowing slewing 180 degrees to the opposite side of the sky in under 30 seconds. Fine slewing and photographic guiding speeds can be adjusted from .01x to 1x sidereal, in .01x sidereal increments. Preset slew speeds include 2x, 8x, 16x, 64x, 128x; 1 and 2 degrees per second, adjustable in .1 degrees/sec. The Meade Telescope mount and all electronics are internally powered from 8 (user-supplied) C-cell batteries. An external 12V DC battery or power pack may also be used. Meade #607 DC Power Cord and Meade Universal AC Adapter sold separately. The mount includes both mechanical locks and slow motion manual controls in both axis.
The Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 comes fully equipped with AutoStar II keypad with 145,000 object library, Meade 1.25" diagonal, 26mm Super Plossl eyepiece and 8x50 viewfinder with quick release bracket. Power panel includes the following ports: 12V input, 12V output, illuminated reticle, handbox, RS-232 x1, StarLock, Aux, and Focuser. Meade Microfocuser compatible, Microfocuser item 07080 sold separately. Don'''t forget... Additional Meade Telescope Eyepieces are also available - along with an extensive array of Meade Telescope Accessories, too!
Customer Note: Shown mounted on optional Meade X-Wedge, sold separately. X-Wedge not included.
Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock Features...
- Starlock: The LX600 integrates a unique star tracking and object finding system into the telescope mount. This integration allows the telescope to center your target perfectly in the field of view. Once centered, the star tracking system communicates directly with the motor drives to automatically assure your scope stays locked onto its target with arcsecond precision. The automated optical tracking system delivers long-exposure guiding with pinpoint stars on astroimages despite misalignments, atmospheric refraction, periodic or other mechanical errors. This level of precision is unobtainable with systems using high precision encoders, software pointing models, large gears or PEC training - and all without the need of an external computer.
- New f/8 Advanced Coma-Free Optical System: Meade has completely redesigned the OTAs with a new mirror mounting and focusing system to achieve zero image-shift and a two-speed microfocuser. The scope features faster f/8 ACF optics giving you pinpoint stars all the way across the field of view.
- Internal Crayford-style 7:1 Focuser: The completely redesigned mirror mounting system achieves zero-image shift, eliminating the need for a mirror lock and integrates a two-speed microfocuser for quick and easy adjustments.
- Solid Fork Mount With Heavy Duty 5.75" Gears: Large, high-quality worm-gear drives in both axes provide smooth movements with low periodic error that are critical for long exposure astrophotography. Providing the freedom to go horizon to horizon without any meridian flip, unlike German Equatorial Mounts.
- Alt/Az Mode: In alt/az mode, the LX600 also makes for the best visual and short exposure experience possible. The LX600 performs LightSwitch fully-automated self alignment. StarLock will put every target dead center in the eyepiece and track with arcsecond accuracy so you can concentrate on the beautiful, wide fields of pinpoint stars created by the superb f/8 ACF optical system.
- Autostar II Controller: Puts over 145,000 objects at your fingertips with the fastest GoTo performance available (8 deg per second). Or you can control the system from an external computer.
- Giant Field Tripod: With 3" diameter chromed steel legs and cast aluminum tripod head - adjustable from 34" to 54" - the Giant Field Tripod provides a research-grade foundation for the LX600.
- Optional f/5 Focal Reducer/Field Flattener: The optional focal reducer, custom designed for the 10, 12 and 14 inch OTAs, makes your scope a full-frame, flat-field f/5 optical system at a fraction of the cost of an OTA only from other manufacturers.
- Optional New X-Wedge: Precision CNC-machined from ultra-ridged, aircraft-grade aluminum with smooth, accurate altitude and azimuth adjustments. Thirty percent more stable than competing equatorial wedges, the X-Wedge is the essential accessory for long exposure astroimaging.
- Portability: While you can achieve remarkable visual and imaging results from a suburban backyard, the ease of transporting an LX600 to a remote site will make you anxious to see what you can achieve under truly dark sky conditions.
Meade LX600-ACF 14" f/8 w/StarLock Specifications...
Clear Aperture: 14" (356mm)
Optical Design: Advanced Coma Free (ACF)
Focal Length: 2,845mm
Focal Ratio: f/8
Telescope Mounting: Heavy-duty fork type; double-tine
Optical Coatings: Ultra-High Transmission Coatings (UHTC)
Resolving Power (Dawes Limit): 0.325 arcseconds
AutoStar Controller: Autostar II
Object Database: 145,000 objects
Viewfinder: 8x50mm with cross-hair reticle
Eyepiece: 26mm Series 4000 Super Plossl
Diagonal: 1.25" diagonal prism
Focal reducer/Field flattener (optional): 2 inch diameter, 3 element, fully multi-coated, f/5 (designed specifically for 10, 12, 14 inch LX600/LX800 f/8 ACF optical systems)
Optimal back focus distance at f/5: 3.5 inches
Focus System: Internal Crayford-style, zero image-shift primary mirror focus with dual speed 7:1 control
Slow Motion Controls: Mechanical & electronic
Slew Speeds: RA and Dec: 0.01x to1.0x sidereal, variable in 0.01x increments; 2x, 8x, 16x, 64x, 128x sidereal; 1/sec. to 2/sec., variable in 0.1 increments.
Tracking Rates: Sidereal, lunar, or custom-selected from 2000 incremental rates
Control Panel: 12v DC in, 12v DC out, Power, Focuser, Reticle, Handbox port, 1 computer connection port (RS232), 1 StarLock port, 1 Aux guide port
Tripod: Giant Field Tripod
Batteries (User-Supplied): 8 x C cells
Battery Life (Typical): 20 hrs.
Power: 12V DC, 5 amp power supply (optional)
GPS Receiver: Included
True Level & North Sensors (LNT): Included
Time Chip: Included
Zero Image-Shift Microfocuser: Optional
Smart Mount: Yes
Smart Drive: Yes
Mirror Lock: Yes
Oversized Primary Mirror: Yes
AutoStar Suite Planetarium Software: Included
Wide Field Camera: 25mm x 26mm f/1.04 optic with 1/2 inch format CMOS sensor gives field of 14.72 x 11.78 degrees.
Narrow Field Camera: 80mm x 400mm f/5 optic with 1/2 inch format Cmos sensor gives field
of 57.2 x 45.8 arcminutes: (2.68 arcseconds/pixel)
High Precision Pointing: +/- 1 arcminute
High Precision Guiding: Down to 1 arcsecond - depending on sky conditions.
High Precision Alignment: Semi-automatic drift align procedure for ulta-precise polar alignment
StarLock Weight: 6 lbs. (2.72 kg)
Primary Mirror: Low expansion borrosilicate glass
Secondary Mirrors: Individually figured with primary mirror for maximum correction. Low-expansion borosilicate glass
Correcting Plate/Lens: Aspheric high-spectral transmission Borofloat glass from Schott AG Germany
Optical Tube: Aluminum
OTA and Mount net weight: TBD
Tripod Weight: 50 lbs.
Tripod Dimensions: 40" to 50" variable
Telescope Shipping Weight (approx.): 239 lbs.Meade Product Number: 1408-70-01