About the Meade LightBridge 16" f/4.5 Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope...
The 16" LightBridge Meade Telescope is the largest LightBridge model. Its incredible light grasp offers four times the image brightness as an 8" telescope used at the same magnification and 75% more than a 12" model. This is one BIG scope. See deep sky objects in spectacular glory especially when used from a dark location.
The Meade 16" LightBridge Deluxe Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope features a superior Meade quality multi-coated, diffraction limited 16" primary mirror, focal length 1829mm (f/4.5). The optics of this style of telescope are only as good as their mounting, which is why Meade Telescope engineers gave the LightBridge primary mirror a top of the line, fully adjustable, high strength but light weight aluminum stress free floating multi-point cell with built in cooling fan. The included battery pack for the fan takes 8 (user supplied) AA batteries and is used to speed the cool down process of the primary mirror, improving image quality.
Standard equipment for the Meade 16" LightBridge Deluxe Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope includes a high quality, precision machined dual speed 2" Crayford style focuser with fine focus 10:1 speed reduction and 1.25" adapter so you can use either 1.25" or 2" barrel Meade Telescope Eyepieces. Includes a 2" diameter Meade Series 4000 26mm QX Wide Angle Eyepiece for stunning wide angle views. The viewfinder is an easy to use red dot unit with four user selectable reticle pattern options and seven step brightness control. This Meade Telescope also includes bonus Meade AutoStar Suite Astronomer Edition Software for checking star charts and planet locations.
The open truss design of the LightBridge Dobsonians means portability of the telescope is dramatically improved over a solid tube design. Taking only moments to set up and take apart for travel, the extremely rigid truss frame design ensures a no-compromises view through this Meade Telescope. Hand driven Dobsonian style telescopes by their nature need good mounts with smooth and stable movement to be enjoyable, and here again the Meade 16" LightBridge Deluxe Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope excels. The sturdy laminated finish wooden Dobsonian mount includes premium features such as roller bearings on the azimuth (side to side) axis and large diameter aluminum altitude (vertical axis) bearings with a hand adjustable variable tension brake for smooth and stable movement.
Meade LightBridge 16" f/4.5 Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope Features...
- Diffraction Limited Optics - Meade optics consistently outperform telescopes of similar and larger aperture. Consumers know that "Meade Optics Inside" means that what they see through our telescopes will be views that are detailed, crisp and full of contrast.
- Meade Optical Coatings - Aluminum Coatings with magnesium fluoride over coat provides bright images full of detail.
- 2" Crayford-Style Machined Aluminum Focuser With 1.25" Adapter - Smooth precise focusing is achieved with this classic design. A unique focus tension knob and focus lock design gives complete control over focus.
- Steel RA Roller Bearings - Roller bearings make movements smooth and effortless.
- Built-In Primary Mirror Cooling Fan - Bring the telescope into thermal equilibrium quickly and efficiently with the battery powered cooling fan. The fan is mounted to the rear of the "vented" primary mirror cell for fast cool down.
- Advanced Four-Reticle Red Dot Viewfinder - Four reticles and varying brightness controls allow this deluxe finder to adjust to your observing needs.
- 26mm QX Wide Angle 2" Eyepiece Deluxe Model - This premium eyepiece has a 2" barrel, and boasts a whopping 70 degree Apparent Field of View.
Meade LightBridge 16" f/4.5 Truss-Tube Dobsonian Telescope Specifications...
Optical Design: Reflector
Clear Aperture: 16" (406.4mm)
Optical Tube Assembly: Metal open Truss Design
Focal Length: 1829mm
Focal Ratio: f/4.5
Telescope Mounting: Dobsonian
Optical Coatings: MgF2
Resolving Power: 0.285 arcseconds
Finderscope: Red dot
Focuser: Dual speed 2" Crayford style focuser with fine focus 10:1 speed reduction
Eyepiece: 26mm Series 4000 QX Wide Angle (2")
Batteries (user supplied): OTA Fan: 8 x AA
Secondary Housing Weight: 11 lbs.
Trusses: 5 lbs.
OTA Primary Housing: 58 lbs.
Assembled OTA: 74 lbs.
Assembled Mount: 54 lbs.
Total Net Assembled Weight: 128 lbs.Meade Product Number: 1645-05-03