DayStar Quark Gemini Prominence And Chromosphere Hydrogen Alpha Filter
- Contains TWO separate Fabry Perot etalon elements which may be shifted safely via a push-pull slide
- A hand-matched pair of narrower (<0.5 Å FWHM) and wider (>0.6 Å FWHM) etalons of SE grade and independently tunable
- Ships with male 1.25" or 2.0" combo eyepiece snouts with safety indent
- Ships with standard 1.25 female eyepiece drawtube output; Optional interchangeable 2" and SCT accessories available
- Brass compression ring to protect eyepiece
- Uses USB power, 5 V, 2.0 Amp
- Includes 90-240 VAC wall adapter with international plug adapters
- Two tuning knobs allow wing shifting +/- 0.5 Å with detents at every 0.1 Å
- LED indicator for power, warming, ready, fault
- 5 year warranty
- Optional 8-hour battery pack available
- Integrated, fully baffled 2 element telecentric 4.2X barlow optimized for 656 nm
- Integrated 12 mm blocking filter
- 22 mm clear filter aperture
- Best performance with F/4 - F/8 refractors
- Full disk viewing possible on refractors up to 450 mm focal length
- No aperture limitations. May be used on larger refractors for higher magnification views
- Ships in watertight pelican style equipment case for dust & humidity-free storage
- NOTE: Not suited for any off-axis application
The DayStar Quark Gemini Prominence And Chromosphere Hydrogen Alpha Filter now provides the best Prominence and Chromosphere bandpass filters built into one device, for instant slide-action switching between either. Do you want to view prominences and also the activity in the chromosphere of our Sun? Now, observers can enjoy the best of both options in one easy to use tool with no equipment swapping or refocusing of any kind. You simply push the slider arm side to side to see the broad stroked prominences observed with the wider bandpass, then select the high contrast of a narrow bandpass filter. This product is intended for use on refracting telescopes; not for use on reflecting telescopes. You will get your best viewing with refractors with focal ratios of f/4 to f/8.
For use on refractors with focal ratios of f/4 to f/8, the user needn't worry about configuration. Just insert into your diagonal, add an eyepiece and view. The patent pending Quark Gemini Prominence And Chromosphere Hydrogen Alpha Filter from DayStar contains a custom DayStar Instruments 4.2X telecentric barlow lens fully optimized in coatings and optical design specifically for the Hydrogen alpha wavelength. This highly specialized telecentric lens also offers superior field flatness performance, as well. This filter mechanism includes an integrated 12 mm blocking filter for thermal protection.
NOTE: The exact filter bandpass will vary based on final telescope application, so these Quark Gemini assemblies are qualified with one element to show best prominences and the other to show best surface contrast (in the chromosphere). Because of this telescope-dependent bandpass performance, no specific FWHM bandpass is quoted. F-ratios of f/9 and higher will offer a dimmer visual view and may only be bright enough for photographic applications. F-ratios of less than f/4 will be brighter, but will also widen the effective FWHM Â bandpass performance you achieve.
For those solar astronomers doing outreach for the public, you can use the prominence vs. chromosphere switch to demonstrate each feature with an extra teaching moment possible about wing shift, in fast-moving prominences. Astronomers doing imaging can use the same switch to create comparison images without exchanging equipment or refocusing with short-lived solar features.
The fully optimized design eliminates the need for any adapters. It's all combined in one lightweight eyepiece sized device. The new, compact design configuration eliminates unnecessary components, weight and associated costs. We even reduced power consumption, so the Quark can now operate all day off a small, palm-sized optional battery pack. Baffles have been added to increase contrast and AR coatings are optimized for the 656 nm wavelength.