Celestron 36 cm (14") Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph Optical Tube Assembly
- This is a breakthrough 36 cm (14 inch) aperture, f/2.2 optical system designed for professional applications that require both a wide field of view and high resolution
- Ideal for use in space surveillance and other scientific applications
- A 4-element lens group utilizes extra-low dispersion (ED) glass for images free of false color, coma, and field curvature
- Celestron's Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) 36 cm is also an excellent choice for advanced astroimaging
- A 60 mm optimized image circle maintains pinpoint stars to the far corners of the largest available sensors
- Extended spectral range takes advantage of sensor response in the 700-900 nm range, allowing brighter overall images
- Redesigned focusing system minimizes focus shifting or other unwanted motion of the primary mirror, enabling easy and stable focus adjustment
The 36 cm (14") Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA) from Celestron, is a cost-effective optical system for space surveillance, Space Situational Awareness (SSA), other scientific applications, and advanced wide field astroimaging. It offers unprecedented value in aperture, speed, field of view, and optical performance. The RASA design has a convenient external prime-focus image capture location with a flat focal plane, providing small spot sizes to the edge of a wide field. The result is images that are free of optical defects like field curvature, off-axis coma, or astigmatism. RASA 36 centimeter has an ample back-focus distance of 77.5 mm which accommodates a wide variety of imaging sensors. A custom camera adapter can be added for a field of view up to 4.4 degrees.
Some Information About the RASA Technology:
- Celestron’s proprietary XLT coatings, which are high-transmission multi-coatings for lenses and high reflectivity aluminum coatings, ensure good light throughput for the optical system.
- An integrated cooling fan helps optics cool down to ambient temperature and pulls air through vents with micromesh to prevent dust ingress.
- Dual dovetail bars offer flexibility to mount the optical tube and conveniently attach additional accessories via “CGE/Losmandy” style dovetails.
- Two sets of 2x threaded insert holes in the rear cell provide additional mounting options.
- Move and mount your optical tube with ease using the carrying handles on the rear cell.
- Although not normally needed, there are 3x sets of push-pull screws to adjust the lens group to achieve ideal optical alignment for the entire system.
- Includes an M48 camera adapter.
- A Motor System specifically designed for the RASA 36 cm focuser is manufactured by Starlight Instruments.
The 36 cm (14") aperture Schmidt Astrograph version is the largest RASA Celestron manufactures. This OTA is the largest aperture and fastest (f/2.2) optical instrument of its kind available “off-the-shelf.” Unlike most telescopes, which only focus visible light (400 nm-700 nm), the RASA 36 cm focuses an extended spectral range (400 nm-900 nm), allowing a brighter signal to be detected by a camera sensor which typically have higher responsivity in the red and near-IR regions. The RASA 36 cm also features a redesigned focus system, which ensures easy and stable focusing using an electric motor.
NOTE: One image shows a digital camera installed on the product for illustration purposes, only. This product does NOT include a camera!
|Optical Design||Rowe-Ackermann Schmidt Astrograph (RASA)|
|Aperture||355.6 mm (14")|
|Focal Length||790 mm (31.1")|
|Central obstruction diameter||158 mm (6.22") (44% of aperture diameter)|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||2581X|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||0.39 arcsecond|
|Resolution (Dawes)||0.36 arcsecond|
|Image circle||60.1 mm (2.36") Ø, 4.4°|
|Useable field||70 mm (2.75") Ø, 5.1°, only minimal performance loss at edge|
|Wavelength range||400 nm – 900 nm|
|Spot size||< 6.3 μm RMS across FOV|
|Optical coatings||Enhanced aluminum, XLT multi-coatings used throughout|
|Off-axis Illumination||83% at 30 mm (1.18") off-axis|
|Optical window||104 mm (4.09") Ø|
|Back focus with included camera adapter||55 mm (2.16")|
|Back focus from top of threaded collar||77.5 mm (3.05")|
|Optical Tube Length||1079.5 mm (42.5")|
|Optical Tube Diameter||106.4 mm (16")|
|Focuser||New focuser design, minimizes focus shift|
|Optical Tube Weight||75 lb (34.02 kg)|
|Other features||Ventilation fan, dual dovetail mounting bars|
|Included items||48 mm (1.89") camera adapter, fan battery pack|