Free shipping to most locations in Canada
Use Discount code: starsensefreeship
Celestron StarSense Explorer 80 mm LT 80AZ
- 80 mm refractor telescope with fully coated glass optics for bright, sharp views
- Unleash the power of your smartphone to take you on a guided tour of the night sky—no astronomy knowledge is required
- Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone's camera to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time
- Your phone's camera looks at the sky via a mirror in the cradle
- StarSense Explorer app automatically generates a list of objects currently visible. View planets, brighter nebulae and galaxies, star clusters, and double stars from the city. Or take your telescope to darker skies to view faint, deep sky objects
- Manual altazimuth mount with smooth, dual-axis slow-motion controls makes it easy to follow the on-screen arrows to your desired target. When the bullseye turns green, it’s ready to view in the telescope’s eyepiece
- Includes 25 mm and 10 mm eyepieces, 2x Barlow Lens, StarSense smartphone dock, erect image diagonal, a red dot finderscope (in case you want to use the telescope without your phone), and a full-height tripod
Celestron has reinvented the manual telescope with StarSense Explorer—the first telescope that uses your smartphone to analyze the night sky and calculate its position in real time. This StarSense Explorer 80 mm LT 80AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Refractor Telescope from Celestron will make astronomical observing fun for all members of your family. It requires NO prior knowledge of astronomy or experience with using telescopes. StarSense Explorer is ideal for beginners thanks to the app’s user-friendly interface and detailed tutorials. It’s like having your own personal tour guide of the night sky. You can also learn some new facts about astronomical objects with this scope.
Dock, Launch, and begin to Explore: Leave complicated star charts, imprecise planetarium apps, and computerized mounts behind. With StarSense Explorer, locating objects has never been easier, faster, or more accurate. Within minutes of setting up the telescope, you’ll be navigating the sky with confidence. Simply place your phone in the unique StarSense dock and launch the StarSense Explorer app. Your phone's camera looks at the sky via a mirror in the cradle. Patent-pending StarSense sky recognition technology uses your smartphone's camera to analyze star patterns overhead and calculate its position in real time.
After aligning your phone to the telescope’s optics (a quick, 2-minute procedure), StarSense Explorer generates a list of celestial objects currently visible. Make your selection and arrows appear onscreen, guiding you and showing you which way to move the telescope. When the object is ready to view, the bullseye turns green. Now, observe the object with the Celestron StarSense Explorer 80 mm LT 80AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Refractor Telescope.
Smartphone Compatibility: StarSense Explorer works with most modern smartphones, including iPhone 6 and up and most devices running Android 7.1.2 or later manufactured since 2016.
StarSense Explorer uses patent-pending technology and your smartphone to determine exactly where the telescope is pointed in the night sky. A "Lost in Space Algorithm" (LISA), like the ones satellites use in orbit to correctly re-orient themselves, helps the app match star patterns it detects overhead to its internal database. While other astronomy apps may claim that they can help you find objects, they rely exclusively on the phone’s gyros and accelerometers, which aren’t as accurate as LISA technology. No other app can accurately tell you when your target is visible in the eyepiece. StarSense Explorer LT’s simple altazimuth mount makes it easy to move the telescope to find your target. A slow-motion altitude adjustment knob included on the StarSense Explorer 80 mm LT 80AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Refractor Telescope from Celestron helps you fine tune the telescope’s pointing position and follow targets as they appear to drift across the night sky. It’s all anchored by an adjustable, full-height tripod.
You can expect sharp, bright views through this 80 mm refractor. Fully coated glass optics provide increased light transmission, enhancing details in celestial objects. The telescope also includes a 90-degree erect image diagonal, so you can use it during the day to view birds, wildlife, landscapes, and more. Even if you live in a light polluted city location, StarSense Explorer is advanced enough to be able to pick out Jupiter, Saturn, Venus, the Orion Nebula, double stars, and a few more of the most famous brighter celestial objects. But if you can take the telescope to an even slightly darker location, more objects will become visible. The entire telescope kit weighs a mere 9.2 pounds, so it’s perfectly portable and easy to bring on your next camping trip or to a remote observing site. This Celestron StarSense Explorer 80 mm LT 80AZ Smartphone App-Enabled Refractor Telescope will change the way you think about astronomy and open new vistas for you, the whole family, and your friends.
NOTE: Some photos show a smartphone attached to the scope for illustration purposes only. This product does NOT include a smartphone.
What's In The Box:
- 80 mm refractor optical tube
- StarSense dock for your smartphone
- Low powered (25 mm) and high powered (10 mm) eyepiece
- 2x Barlow lens to double the power of each eyepiece
- 90-degree erect image diagonal
- StarPointer red dot finderscope, perfect for using the telescope during the day or without the StarSense Explorer app
- Altazimuth mount with slow motion control rod
- Full-height tripod with an accessory tray to hold eyepieces and other accessories
|Optical Design||Refractor Telescope|
|Aperture||80 mm (3.1")|
|Focal Length||900 mm (35.43")|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 1||25 mm (0.98")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 1||36x|
|Focal Length of Eyepiece 2||10 mm (0.39")|
|Magnification of Eyepiece 2||90x|
|Barlow Lens||2x (1.25")|
|Finderscope||StarPointer™ red dot finderscope|
|Star Diagonal||Erect image 90° (1.25")|
|Highest Useful Magnification||189x|
|Lowest Useful Magnification||11x|
|Limiting Stellar Magnitude||12|
|Resolution (Rayleigh)||1.74 arcseconds|
|Resolution (Dawes)||1.45 arcseconds|
|Light Gathering Power (Compared to human eye)||131x|
|Optical Coatings||Fully-Coated glass optics|
|Optical Tube Length||965 mm (38")|
|Optical Tube Diameter||90 mm (3.54")|
|Optical Tube Weight||5.4 lb (2.45 kg)|
|Mount Type||Manual, Alt-Azimuth|
|Height adjustment range (includes mount and tripod)||Aluminum, 1320.8 mm (52") max height|
|Tripod Leg Diameter||31.75 mm (1.25") steel|
|Tripod Weight||3.8 lb (1.72 kg)|
|GPS||Uses phone's GPS|
|Dovetail Compatibility||CG-5 Dovetail bar|
|Power Requirements||None (Recommend PowerTank Glow to keep phone charged while using app)|
|Alignment Procedures||Use StarSense Explorer app|
|Software||StarSense Explorer app | SkyPortal app | Celestron Starry Night Basic Edition Software|
|Total Kit Weight||9.2 lb (4.17 kg)|
|Included Items||Telescope tube | Mount/tripod (preassembled) | 25 mm & 10 mm eyepieces | Erect image diagonal | 2x Barlow lens | StarPointer finderscope | Accessory tray | StarSense Explorer phone dock|