About the Mallincam Extreme Color Video CCD Camera...
What makes the Mallincam Xtreme such a popular product? Simple! It reignites your passion for astronomy in a way you simply can'''t imagine. If you are like me, you might want to observe on any given clear night. During the winter right now for example. So you set your equipment up, and then start out with the idea that you want to observe a few deep sky objects. Since you are in suburban skies, you might settle for some of the brighter ones. Hopefully, you have some decent quality eyepieces, and then you look around. Depending on the conditions, you might see something interesting, or you might not.
Now, here is what happens when you attach the Mallincam Xtreme into your focuser or star diagonal; All of a sudden that image of the Orion Nebula you are seeing actually looks like something you saw in Astronomy magazine , not a fuzzy, faint spot! Now your mind is in overdrive, and you want to see even more with your MallinCam. So you whip over to a faint object, that you know you only imagined you saw through your telescope eyepiece, and then... BAM... there it is. But it ain'''t fuzzy! Its clear as day.
Thanks to the brainchild of Canadian Rock Mallin, This can be your experience too! Even if you consider yourself to be a veteran amateur astronomer, believe you me, your experience will be the same. Even if you live in a light polluted major city, you will be able to observe, video and image just as well as someone who is in a dark sky location. Kind of levels the playing field a bit. And....all this with a simple learning curve, that does not involve heavy duty processing of images, that require another lifetime to master, and allows you to have success in a short period of time, with a short learning curve. You choose, visual observing or Video Imaging! You can do both with the Mallincam Xtreme.
The hand-crafted Mallincam Xtreme Color Astronomical Video CCD Cameras have the new fourth generation hyper-circuit, allow the user a choice of a variable shutter from three seconds to a hundred minutes - all with automatic refresh. The menu of the new Mallincam Xtreme can be fully controlled from a PC using a PC control cable and MallinCam Control Software. Exposure time can also be fully controlled via the software preset. Preset exposure times of 7, 14, 28 and 56 seconds can be selected (like the Mallincam Hyper Plus), or custom exposure times can be chosen from three seconds up to one hundred minutes.
There is a CCD mode for those who want to experiment with astro-imaging, although the MallinCam is designed primarily as a live observing camera. It can take nice images when all of the CCD imaging techniques are utilized (such as dark frame subtraction, image calibration, etc.). The software contains a video control interface that works in conjunction with the user supplied capture device. The available video control options in the software are limited by those supported by the capture device. Options include brightness, contrast, gain, gamma, hue, saturation, sharpness and white balance. Since PC control is through the RS-232 auxiliary port on the Mallincam Xtreme, over 300 feet of cable can be used for remote operation. This is far superior to the 150 feet limited range provided by USB supported cameras. When PC control in not utilized, (for example, when out in the field at a star party), the optional wireless exposure control module can be utilized with the fully integrated on-screen menu. For those wanting to easily adjust the menu in the field instead of having to manipulate the menu using the five on-camera menu buttons, an optional wired menu keypad is available.
The wireless exposure controller of the Mallincam Xtreme is FCC approved. Although approval range is limited to 265 feet (80 meters), it has been tested at 500 feet in the open. Since the wireless exposure controller works on RF radio waves, its signal is able to penetrate walls, unlike IR controllers. To guarantee interference-free operation with other MallinCam users in the field, 100 channels are selectable. Both the transmitter and receiver have large numeric displays making it easy to set and monitor the exposures.
The wireless exposure controller on the Mallincam Xtreme has a bulb setting, making it possible to set exposures from 3 seconds to 99 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds. The Peltier Cooler has been adjusted to help minimize warm pixel formation during the longer exposures. A new dual heat dissipater (HDX2) has been developed and it is recommended for use on the Xtreme due to the additional heat generated by the CCD sensor during extended long exposures. Along with the HDX2, the use of an optical window, MFR-3 focal reducer or MFR-5 focal reducer is recommended. These units help isolate the cooled CCD sensor from moisture in the air and lessen the chance for condensation issues. When lunar, planetary and solar observing is being done, it is not necessary to have one of the above optical elements attached to the Mallincam Xtreme, as the Peltier Cooler is set to the lowest level of noise detection.
MallinCam... The ultimate "live" astronomical color video CCD camera has arrived!
Mallincam Xtreme Color Video CCD Camera Features...
- Computerized Adjustable Mild Peltier Cooler (Thermoelectric cooler TEC)
- Hand Picked Class 1 CCD Sensor - Grade A. (Class 0 CCD Sensor available as an option - when available, $139.95 Extra) (EXview HAD CCD Sensor with greater sensitivity available as option - when available, $109.95 Extra)
- RS 232 Interface offering complete PC camera control using the Control Cable and free MallinCam Control Software. A Serial Port is needed on the PC, and if one is not available, a USB to Serial Adapter can be utilized.
- Full Shutter Speed Adjustment including OFF, 1/100, 1/120, 1/180, 1/250, 1/350, 1/500, 1/750, 1/1,000, 1/1,500, ,000, 1/3,000, ,000, 1/6,000, 1/8,000, and 1/12,000 second making it possible for Lunar, Planetary and Solar (with the proper USER supplied H-Alpha or White Light Filters). There is no need to use an aperture mask to reduce the telescope''s light gathering ability.
- Long Exposure Modes including 2X, 4X, 6X, 8X, 12X, 16X, 24X, 32X, 48X, 64X, 96X, and 128X or 1/32th of a second to 2.1 seconds
- Hyper Mode with 3.3 Second to 100 Minute Exposure Times - all with Full Automatic Refresh!
- On Board Title Generator that allows for the placement of the name of the object being viewed on the monitor. This is excellent for group viewings at museums, planetariums, educational facilities and star parties or while
broadcasting over the Night Skies Network.
- Programmable Back Light Compensation Mode (BLC)
- Full AGC Adjustment (GAIN) in Auto Mode, Manual Mode (for Deep Sky targets) and OFF (for Deep Sky targets, and Lunar, Planetary, and Solar observing)
- Full White Balance Control (W/B). Chose between Fully Automatic White Balance Control (AWC), Auto Trace White Balance Control (ATW), or Manual White Balance Control including presets for 5600K, 3200K (Infrared) or UserDefined Blue and Red Color.
Other Included Features of the Mallincam Xtreme Color Video CCD Camera...
- Two Fully Independent Video Outputs - High Resolution S-VHS and 75 Ohm Composite (Both can be used simultaneously!)
- Four Programmable Mask Functions - allows for the creation of Electronic Cross Hairs or other Manual Guiding Functions
- Positive and Negative Image Selection
- Horizontal Image Inversion (mirror effect)
- Vertical Image Inversion (mirror effect)
- Freeze Image Function
- Sensitivity Priority Function
- Gamma Selection (0.45 or 1.00)
- APC Function (Advanced Pixel Control to eliminate all stars artifacts)
- High Light Adjust Function (Electronic Coronagraph and Electronic Stellar Coronagraph)
- Color Bar Generator
- Full Digital Zoom (Up to 2X in 16 steps)
The Mallincam Xtreme Comes Complete With...
- 1- Mallincam Xtreme Color Camera (with Class 1 video CCD sensor)
- 1- Regulated Power Supply 120 volts to 12 Volts D/C Adapter (PAL export version comes with 220 Volts to 12 Volts D/C Adapter
- 1- 25 ft. (8 Meters) High Grade Dual Shielded Power/Composite Video Cable Combination
- 1- High Precision 1.25" Eyepiece Adapter / Heat Transfer Unit Custom Made for the MallinCam
- 1- BNC Male to RCA Female Adapter
Customer Note: Some images contain optional accessories.
MallinCam Product Number: MC-XTREME