About the Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian Telescope...
Maybe the idea of a big-aperture Orion Dobsonian Telescope appeals to you, but the portability issue has kept you on the fence. Well you can hop off it now because we'''ve got the perfect solution - the "space-saving" Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope. It'''s a deep-sky observer'''s dream telescope, offering jumbo 12" (305mm) Pyrex parabolic optics of 1500mm focal length (f/4.9); a stylish, reduced-weight base outfitted with computerized IntelliScope object locating technology; and a sturdy, eight-truss tube design that disassembles in about a minute into compact, easily portable components. And at its price, the XX12i ranks as the #1 killer telescope deal of the year!
Finally, a deluxe, large-aperture Orion Dobsonian Telescope that fits comfortably into a compact car for transport to your favorite observing site! Credit the Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope traditional truss tube design, which utilizes eight aluminum trusses (four captive pairs) that attach and detach quickly with oversized hand knobs - no tools required! This design provides a more rigid structural support than other designs in this category. And all assembly knobs are captive, so you won'''t lose any in the dark! When removed, the trusses in each captive pair align in parallel, which saves space when transporting and storing them. Disassembly of the Orion Dobsonian Telescope''s 56"-long optical tube yields two sections, the largest measuring just 26" in length.
The Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope improves on the already stellar features and performance of our standard XT12 IntelliScope Dobsonian. The telescope focuser is a dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford with 1.25" adapter, metal focus knobs, and adjustable drawtube tension to ensure excellent, non-slip motion for any size of telescope eyepiece used.
Orion has outfitted the Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope with larger, 8" altitude bearings for smoother tube motion. The side-reinforced base sports stylish cutouts that minimize weight without sacrificing stability. EbonyStar laminate glides on non-stick PTFE material bearings to give the azimuth motion the feel of silk. Fine features carried over from the XT12 Orion Dobsonian Telescope include adjustable altitude tension, an open 9-point flotation primary mirror cell, and a "navigation knob" for easy slewing.
Although the primary mirror cell is extremely well ventilated, the Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope comes with a Cooling Accelerator Fan, which attaches to the back of the cell and facilitates faster equilibration of the mirror to ambient temperature. The Orion Dobsonian Telescope secondary mirror has a 70mm minor axis and is held in a four-vane spider with very thin (0.7mm thick) vanes to minimize diffraction effects.
The acclaimed IntelliScope Computerized Object Locator comes standard on the Orion Dobsonian Telescope XX12i, allowing manual slewing to any of 14,000 celestial objects in just seconds, using its illuminated pushbutton keypad. The Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope lets you spend your time viewing celestial objects instead of hunting for them. What'''s more, with the XX12i'''s Truss Dobsonian 305mm of light-grabbing aperture, your favorite "faint fuzzies" won'''t look nearly so faint or fuzzy! The deep-sky telescope views will simply dazzle you.
The Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope comes fully loaded with great accessories, including a 9x50 finder scope, aluminum telescope eyepiece rack, two telescope eyepieces: a low-power 35mm (43x) DeepView 2" and a high-power 10mm (150x) Sirius Plossl 1.25", dust caps for the top and bottom optical tube sections, and a "collimating cap" to insure optical alignment of the mirrors. A convenient carrying handle is provided for the base.
It'''s the big Orion Dobsonian Telescope you'''ve dreamed of owning, and now you can take it with you wherever dark skies beckon! Get the practical and amazingly affordable Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope by Orion and hit the road to astronomical adventure.
Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian Telescope Features...
- A big but easily transportable 12" aperture truss-tube Dobsonian reflector with power-saving push-to IntelliScope Object Locator included for computerized location of over 14,000 celestial objects
- 12" aperture enhanced reflectivity (94%) parabolic optics collect plenty of light for clear, crisp views of solar system targets like the Moon and planets as well as deep space objects like cloudy nebulas, faint galaxies, and sparkling star clusters.
- Fine features carried over from the XT12 include adjustable altitude tension, an open 9-point flotation primary mirror cell, and a "navigation knob" for easy slewing
- Truss-tube design allows the reflector optical tube to be disassembled for easy transport to any observing site in virtually any size vehicle
- The secondary mirror has a 70mm minor axis and is held in a four-vane spider with very thin (0.7mm thick) vanes to minimize diffraction effects
- Stable Dobsonian base outfitted with EbonyStar on non-stick coating (PTFE) azimuth bearing and huge 8" altitude bearings provide smooth altazimuth panning motion for easy manual tracking of celestial objects
- Although the primary mirror cell is extremely well ventilated, the Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope comes with a Cooling Accelerator Fan, which attaches to the back of the cell and facilitates faster equilibration of the mirror to ambient temperature
- Includes dual-speed (11:1) 2" Crayford focuser, 9x50 finder scope, 35mm DeepView 2" eyepiece, 10mm Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepiece, cooling accelerator fan, eyepiece rack, collimation cap, Starry Night software and more!
Orion SkyQuest XX12i IntelliScope Truss Dobsonian Telescope Specifications...
Best for viewing: Fainter deep sky
Best for imaging: Lunar & planetary
User level: Advanced
Optical design: Reflector
Optical diameter: 305mm
Focal length: 1500mm
Focal ratio: f/4.9
Optics type: Parabolic
Glass material: Low thermal expansion glass
Eyepieces: DeepView 35.0mm (2"), 10.0mm (1.25")
Magnification with included eyepieces: 42x, 150x
Resolving power: 0.38arc*sec
Lowest useful magnification: 42x
Highest useful magnification: 300x
Highest theoretical magnification: 610x
Limiting stellar magnitude: 15.1
Optical quality: Diffraction limited
Finder scope: 9x50
Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
Secondary mirror obstruction: 70mm
Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 23%
Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 5%
Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Enhanced Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
Mount type: Dobsonian
Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
Alignment procedure: 2-Star Alignment
Bearing material: PTFE and UHMW bearings
Power requirement: 9-volt battery
Setting circles: Electronic, via the hand controller
Available ports: RS-232
Tube material: Steel
Tripod material: Wood
Length of optical tube: 58.3 in.
Weight, optical tube: 49.5 lbs.
Weight, mount/tripod: 34.0 lbs.
Weight, fully assembled: 83.5 lbs.
Additional included accessories: Unique base design with side braces for stability, Cooling accelerator fan included, 2" dual-speed Crayford focuser w/ 1.25" adapter
Warranty: One yearOrion Product Number: 10023